Hosting a backyard summer BBQ is all fun and games until it’s time to start cleaning. Having a clean-up plan before your guests arrive can help keep things clean during the party and make clean up easier once everyone has gone home.
Before the Party
- Clean your grill with a stiff wire brush, Dish Soap, and Stainless Steel Polish. For a more in-depth guide to grill cleaning, check out our Get Your Grill Ready for Father’s Day blog.
- Empty your dishwasher, so it’s ready for all the used dishes.
- Label receptacles for recycling, trash, and compost.
- Put down tablecloths. Throwing them in the wash is much easier than having to wipe every mess up.
During Your Backyard Bash
- Clean as you go! Who wants to spend all night cleaning when the party is over? Washing a dish here and picking up a little trash there can help cut down on after-party clean up.
- Keep some cleaners on hand during the party. Spills and stains are bound to happen. We recommend setting aside Cleaning Wipes, All-Purpose Cleaner, Dish Soap, and Stain and Odor Eliminator.
- Once all of your food has been served, start soaking any cookware during the party.
Right After the BBQ Fun is Done
Some clean up can’t wait until tomorrow. Here are a few things that need to be taken care of before you hit the hay after a long day of fun.
- Dispose of any trash to avoid odors and ants.
- Run at least one load of dishes, and fill up the sink with dishes that need to soak.
- Take any cloth tablecloths and napkins and put them in the wash (don’t forget to transfer them to the dryer before you go to bed).
What Can Wait Until Tomorrow
Let’s face it, even if you’re feeling ambitious most of your after-party chores won’t be done in one day. Here are the tasks that can wait until the day after all of the fun.
- Finish washing the rest of your dishes.
- Grab the laundry from the dryer, fold it, and place it back in storage.
- If you did any back yard rearranging to fit all your guests in one place, time to put everything back where it belongs.
- Clean your grill. Wait, didn’t you just do this before the party? Well, yeah, but future you will thank you if you clean it now instead of waiting for the next BBQ.
So, what are you waiting for? It’s time to celebrate summer with your friends and family (and some good home cooked food!)